(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

comics
Does anybody have a good suggestion as to what "graphic novel" I should read with my almost-5-yr-old, now that we are nearly finished with the Bone series? Is there anything close to that, in terms of its ability to hold his interest and mine at the same time, with that right mix of humor and urgency? We've read a little Akiko, and it's fine as far as it goes, but nothing like the depth of Bone. (Those of you who are snickering, stop. I'm being serious). But on the other hand it shouldn't be significantly scarier than Bone, please -- I still have to tell him about, rather than show him, the pages in Bone where the Hooded One is un-hooded. Please comment or email me with any suggestions.

posted by sam 8:32 AM 6 comments

6 Comments:

thanks a lot -- looks like a good suggestion, Kip.

By Blogger sam, at 3:56 PM  

I could suggest a number of them, but your best bet is to take a peek at the following web site:

http://sidekicks.noflyingnotights.com/

They also have suggestions by age at:

http://sidekicks.noflyingnotights.com/core.html#age

By Blogger Dipesh, at 7:06 PM  

very helpful, thanks

By Blogger sam, at 6:33 AM  

I'd recommend James Robinson and Paul Smith's Leave it to Chance, a great series designed for kids about a young girl whose father is the chief magical detective of a major city. It's great fun, and republished in large, "little lit" size volumes, perfect for kids' reading.

By Blogger Fred, at 10:47 AM  

My 6 year old daughter is a big fan of Wonder Woman and liked 'Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trilogy' by Matt Wagner. She insisted, while riding on my back in the swimming pool this past summer, my face near the water, that I continually sing the Wonder Woman theme song... as if I were some kind of invisible plane.

By Blogger Eutychus Fell, at 2:44 PM  

I really enjoyed reading "Elfquest" with my dad when I was young (a bit older than your son, I think 8 or 9). It is sort of a LOTR knock-off as I recall, beautiful artwork and well-drawn characters. I don't remember how scary it was though -- I believe there were some fairly scary moments.

By Blogger The Modesto Kid, at 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net