(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

music
I know I keep saying it, but it's worth saying again. If you live in Washington, don't miss the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, which (having started last week) is on again, today through Sunday. Here is the schedule for today, and you can click from there to the schedules for later this week. Today you can see some great Southern traditional music, including Joe Thompson and Clyde Davenport, and can also see an evening concert of Neba Solo, my new favorite: a balofon (like a wooden xylophone, or marimba) player from Mali. He and his band (2 balofons, a drummer, three other percussionists, a singer, and two dancers, when I saw him last week) will rock your world.

[UPDATE: A reader reasonably points out that I have been unfairly neglecting the Scottish music. Fair enough -- though my own view is that British Isles trad music has much better publicists than does old-time music and thus gets an inordinately large share of attention in many venues, I will readily admit that this week also brings some great Scottish music, including Johnny & Phil Cunningham, and the Battlefield Band.]

posted by sam 6:59 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net