(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Thursday, June 19, 2003

music
When I first spent time here in Washington DC, in (if I remember correctly) the summer of 1984, I wandered down to the Mall one day and found myself in the middle of the Smithsonian Folklife Festival. On a kiosk was a big picture of the great fiddler Tommy Jarrell, and it turned out that he was playing that day. So I heard him, and then talked to him, and I have loved Washington ever since.

I mention it because, although Tommy died not long after that, some of the greatest living old-time fiddlers will again be on the Mall for the Folklife Festival over the next couple of weeks, starting in a few days. You can see, among others, Joe Thompson, Clyde Davenport, and Ralph Blizard. They will all blow your mind, and improve your life tremendously.


posted by sam 11:52 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net