(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Sunday, May 25, 2003

short items
* The Atlanta newspaper has an article on Bill Pryor's nomination, titled "Judicial nominee a conservative true believer."

* I wish that the sun would come out; it's been gray and rainy for years, I think.

* You know you're desperate when your defense requires the assertion that criminal lawyer Leonard Weinglass, who used to represent you, sabotaged your case. I don't completely blame Mumia's defense for trying this argument; after all, much of habeas corpus law (unfortunately, I think) depends on proving that your former lawyer screwed up beyond belief; and so if that's what you have to argue in order to save your life or liberty, it's natural that you'd want to argue it no matter how far-fetched it might seem to other people. But based on what I know of Weinglass -- including having seen him do the best appellate argument I've ever seen anyone give, calmly winning a reversal of a conviction before a rather conservative panel of judges -- it's impossible for me to believe the allegation of "sabotage". (link via How Appealing)

posted by sam 3:16 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net