(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

music
Unlike Mark Kleiman perhaps, I prefer my traditional and neo-traditional music with lots of dirt still on it, not cleaned up with classical-style performance values. (I like the notes that you can't find on a piano, and a heart-to-head ratio higher than 1:1). I was reminded of this last night while watching tv, a documentary about Shane MacGowan and the Pogues. (look on this page to see when it's coming on next, if you get the Sundance Channel). Their 1988 album "If I Should Fall from Grace with God" (snippets available here) is brilliantly messy neo-traditional Irish punk. The movie is very disturbing, though, because (at least at the time it was filmed) Shane MacGowan is a gruesome mix of genius and stunning amounts of alcohol. Like Jim at Rittenhouse, I don't like the stereotype of the Irish drunk, and don't mean to invoke it as a stereotype. Anyway, go get "If I Should Fall from Grace with God" if you don't have it, and if you like dirt.

posted by sam 12:08 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net