(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Thursday, February 27, 2003

scary times indeed
Those who read this silly blog regularly have surely noticed that I don't post about every "what liberal media?" outrage that comes along, nor do I even post often about the growing effort (from elected officials and highly-paid media stars) to paint dissent as treason. On these topics, I don't blog much because others (e.g., Atrios, TalkLeft) do a better job than I could; I figure that you must be reading them, and you have better things to do than to spend your time hearing that I agree.

But I'm about to decide that, in fact, posting "Count me in, as one outraged by this" is becoming not a redundant annoyance but a necessity, as it becomes clearer that we are in scary times. The latest thing to send me in this direction (thanks, Atrios, for getting me so riled up) is to find out that MSNBC's newest highly-paid opinion-spouter, Michael Savage, is urging that anti-war leaders should be arrested for opposing the "war" (at least once the "war" starts). He may be pretending that he is leaving enough ambiguity on his site so that he can later say, if pressed, that he didn't really mean this; but that would be unconvincing.

I don't know what else to say that hasn't been said better by others; but if anybody's counting, count me as one who believes that dissent is honorable. It's hard to believe that there's even a debate on this.

(UPDATE: And just to make it clear, I'm not just standing up for the right to dissent. I am also dissenting; I don't think that a "war" against Iraq is a good plan).

posted by sam 6:19 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net