(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Sunday, November 10, 2002

Every time I open the newspaper I feel curmudgeonly, as I read people saying things that are rather clearly lies (the only other possibility being that the people involved are extraordinarily dim). Today's example takes the cake: in an article in the New York Times on a company that's developing tiny silicon chips with radio transmitters, to implant under your skin to identify you, etc., the company spokesperson -- when asked about possible future consequences of this technology, including Big Brother government monitoring -- says ""You're taking me down a road I've never speculated about." I'm sorry -- the guy works as a spokesperson for the company developing this technology, and he's never speculated about future uses of it (including some pretty darn scary ones)? I'm voting for "lying" over "extraordinarily dim" myself. The third possibility -- that the NYT is misquoting him to make him look like he's lying or dim -- is conceivable too.

posted by sam 6:51 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net