(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Wednesday, September 11, 2002

Today I'm thinking of the sign I see outside the Friends' meeting house in my neighborhood every day: "How does your life help to remove the causes of war?" If you think that this is implicitly a blame-America sentiment, I disagree; it's a question that every person, no matter where, can usefully ask. If you think it unlikely that we'll ever eliminate war entirely, I sadly agree. But we can surely make some movement in that direction over time, through the same virtues that were in evidence a year ago: courage, community, and selflessness. And so it's one good question to ponder on a day like today.

[edited during the day to make sure that I have said what I want to say]

posted by sam 7:38 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net