(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Wednesday, September 25, 2002

This news story (thanks to MaxSpeak for raising my blood pressure with it) about Dick Armey's moronic and offensive comments about Jews -- along with this story about a Republican member of Congress, Joe Wilson, calling another member of Congress anti-American -- has me humming to myself the old Union song "Which Side Are You On?" We really are, I think, in one of those episodes of American history which tests our committment to our democratic (small "d") ideals, to free debate and to equality and to freedom and to responsive government. I'm on the side that's for those things, which means that I'm on the side against those nitwits.

Forgive my soapbox, please. And yes -- as Tom Tomorrow showed in his cartoon at the back of this week's New Yorker -- there's something slightly pathetic about political blogging to a tiny audience. But this sort of behavior from powerful elected officials -- especially in conjunction with the real prosecutorial and legislative overreaching that (for instance) TalkLeft analyzes on a daily basis -- really is dangerous.

posted by sam 11:15 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net