(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Thursday, September 05, 2002

more about guilty southern liberals Taking a break from my brief, I find -- from following Kaus's link to Instapundit and going from there -- that various people are talking about Sullivan's and Kaus's psychiatric diagnosis of me and my brethren. So far, it appears, I am the only person in the world flabbergasted by the arrogance of the suggestion that Southern liberals don't really have honest and considered opinions as other folks do, just manifestations of personal psychology.

I used to think of everybody who disagreed with me in that way, too. In law school I was fond of saying that Libertarians are just Republicans who like to smoke dope. Before I grew up a bit, I thought that I understood Justice Clarence Thomas's opinions as a manifestation of his psychology, even though I'd never met the man.

But I don't think that way anymore. So, rather than trying to figure out why Andrew Sullivan and Mickey Kaus say the silly things that they do (is it that the former is ashamed of being British and therefore looking for someone to look down on, and the latter was taunted about a certain Disney character in elementary school?), I eagerly await their belated recognition that they have said something silly, or their explanation that everybody's political opinions are just psychological symptoms. And yes, you can see that this is getting under my skin a bit. So I'll calm down, and await the wisdom of a good blogger who told me that he'd be weighing in on the subject later on ...

posted by sam 3:43 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net