(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Saturday, August 31, 2002

Unfortunately almost all of my kid's naptime, which usually is prime blog-reading and -writing time on weekends, has been taken up by installation of the new Jaguar OS on my iMac. Oh well -- it seems to be worth it. In any event, this leaves me only enough time to blog one thing, which I recognize may strike some people as quite bourgeois but it matters to me. (And after all, I do live in what Leadbelly called the "bourgeois town"). The topic is salmon.

For some time, I had been assuming (and you know what they say about what happens when you assume) that farm-raised salmon was a socially responsible thing to eat, because it let all the rugged wild salmon do their rugged wild salmon thing without interference from me. But then I read the article in the new Gourmet (the text isn't online, but here's the table of contents, for those who don't believe it's not real unless you see it on the web), which says that farm-raised salmon has a number of seriously bad side-effects -- pollution of nearby waters, overfishing of the oceans in order to feed the farm salmon, hyper-antibiotic-use, and so on -- as compared with a pretty well-regulated and sustainable wild salmon business in Alaska.

So now, unless somebody who's not a fish-industry stooge tells me that Gourmet is wrong, it's wild salmon (and farm-raised catfish and tilapia) for me.

posted by sam 3:30 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net