(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Monday, August 19, 2002

Let me be very clear about what I'm saying and what I'm not saying Instapundit quotes somebody else whom I've never read (Oliver Willis) who describes Farrakhan's behavior as "shuck and jive".

Here are some of the things I'm not saying: (a) that I like Farrakhan; or (b) that Instapundit or Willis is a racist.

What I am saying is this: that those who use the phrase "shuck and jive" should be aware (and maybe these guys are, I don't know, but I think that a lot of people aren't, which is why I mention it) that the phrase has a racially-charged etymology. Says who? Well, for instance, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, just last month. So one would be well-advised to use the phrase, if at all, only if he means to invoke those connotations and associations. Again, it's not my intention to cast aspersions on the folks discussed above, only to give information that might be useful in everyone's future endeavors.

posted by sam 2:05 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net