(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Wednesday, August 21, 2002

I admit to feeling somewhat sheepish the last day or so, for not having expressed enough political opinions about things. Yes, I have thoughts about Bob Barr, Cynthia McKinney, war in Iraq, you name it. Will it improve the world if I share them with you? Will I lose my place on the links-lists of various left bloggers if I don't pipe up with something interesting or at least vigorous to say?

I worry about these things, and then I see that Eric Alterman has made time to say two things that I feel deeply as well: (1)"Is [Bob Dylan] the weirdest guy on the planet or what?" (I'll still buy his records and see him every time he comes to town, but he's in another dimension I'm afraid); and (2) the NYT wedding pages are great (he's not being sarcastic, is he? I'm not), and they'll just be that much better when same-sex couples are included. This, by the way, is one of the main problems with living in Alabama (or at least it was when I was there): the Sunday Times didn't contain the wedding pages. That's what you get for living in one of the blue states (or was it red?).

So: bye-bye and good riddance Barr, I'm ambivalent about McKinney's loss, I don't like war and certainly don't like rushing into war, Ann Coulter's still a nut, some bloggers worry too much about the 2d Amendment ... and if Bob Dylan marries Beck and it's in the NYT then I'll be happy.

posted by sam 8:44 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net